Featured Post

Monday, July 27, 2015

Special Olympics World Games 2015 Opening Ceremony. By MJ McColgan "Inspiring Greatness"

Special Olympics has been an important part of my life.  It allowed me the opportunity to compete on a National and Global basis in the wonderful game of GOLF!  I loved the time I spent on the golf course trying to win the game by shooting the lowest scores at the many events that I competed in.  The favorite times for my Mom, Dad and me were the World Games. 

In 2003 we attended the World Games opening ceremony in Dublin, Ireland which featured many Irish stars including Bono and his band U2.  In 2007, we were in Shanghai, China and met founder Eunice Kennedy Shriver
shown in the picture with my Mom and Dad.  In 2011, we were in Athens, Greece at the same stadium where the first Olympics took place. All of these special places had inspiring opening ceremonies that will stay in our memories for a long time.

On July 25th, the 2015 Special Olympics World Games Opening Ceremony was held in Los Angeles.
at the LA Coliseum.  This is home of the University of Southern California football team and site of the first Super Bowl.  7,000 Special Olympic Athletes from all over the world were the real stars as they proudly marched into the stadium being cheered by the 100,000 happy fans.

It was a fun night for several reasons. Michelle Obama was there to open up the games.  She put aside  politics and was there for the athletes. She gave a great speech saying "These games show us we're all in this together and we can bring out the best in each other."   


A lot of great music was played by Mike D from the legendary Beastie Boys. It was cool that he was there. He was the DJ for the night. Stevie Wonder,Nicole Scherzinger and Jimmy Kimmel also added to the inspiring venue.  The fireworks show was spectacular as you can see in the above picture.

One of my favorite things about the World Games is I get a chance to meet a lot of nice people from all over the world. It is a focus on ability not disability.  It is about life not being perfect, but with hard work and confidence the athletes have a chance to show the world their abilities in the sports that they excel in.

When I was at lunch, I met a person from Ireland and she gave me a "Go Team Ireland" hat and wrist band.  It was a thrill since the first World Game I competed in was in Dublin, Ireland.

The people from Special Olympics are special people and I am honored to be part of this great organization.

Let the games begin.

Tokyo 2019? Will we attend? Time will tell........